Friday, March 5, 2010

passports and plane tickets-Why Not



This week has had some big developments.

We have been scheming and plotting our summer plans. While we are waiting on the next step of our missionary application process, we decided to take some action.

We decided to spend our summer in Costa Rica, and attend a Spanish Immersion Program. The course is an intensive program that focuses on helping people learn to speak Spanish. It is a six week program. The whole family will be going. Dave and I will be taking a leave of absence, and the girls will be leaving school a little early.

The Spanish Immersion program was initially the spark that started the shift to applying to be full time missionaries. We had originally started out just inquiring about the program with our friends Jay and Nancy Dickerson. They are now Area Directors with the Assemblies of God for Latin Amercia, but had spent some time as serving as the directors for the school (Cincel). While we were at lunch with them, Jay asked the question, "why not do a trimester instead of the 6 week program." So Dave and I came home and were like, "why not?" We looked over the program and thought we could make it work, a three month adventure. Lets go for it. So Dave's assignment was to find out how much medical insurance would be for the three months.

So later that week Dave was telling me the numbers, it would be this much for summer school, this much for a trimester (3 months) and this much for full time missionaries.

GULP!

Whoa there hubby, What did you say?

I was like, Umm why do we need to know how much it is for full time missionaries?


And the fire was flamed.


So here we are.
With our passports and plane tickets.
Asking Why not?

We are no longer going through the motions. We are stepping out. I am not sure about all the details of the summer program, especially the details involving the girls. But we are excited here.


I am going to be honest here. Stepping out is not easy. It seems that everything gets challenged. My spiritual life changed. I am not even sure how to put it in words.

Every step brings some new challenge and causes a new wave of learning, strength, stretching, growth.

I am excited to be in this place. My spiritual life had become so familiar and easy. I had come to a place where I didn't need to come to Jesus every day for peace. I had really just been going through the motions. I mean does the enemy really focus on people who are cruising along?

Now, I need answers every day. I go to My Father and pray for the peace that only comes from Him. I humbled by His master plan for me and my family. I have this growing hunger in my soul to become closer to Him. I am thirsty for His Word and how it applies to me.

This place in my life is scarey. But I am excited.
I am excited to be unsettled and hungry and thirsty.

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Matthew 25:35,36


P.S. Lets hope I don't need to be visited in prison. :)

1 comment:

  1. exciting....and awesome.... Intel has an office in Costa Rica...and I have many coworkers there!

    ReplyDelete