Wednesday, July 25, 2012

thus far and empty jars

My thoughts are scattered, but I need to type them out, so they become real, so I don't forgtet.

I am not sure where to start.

So. . .
I 'll start from last week. We were feeling pretty beat up, just the weariness of constant travel, the stress of itineration, the calender with the start of language school looming over us, and the finicial deficiet of our itineration. It was a heavy burden. One that we weren't even asked to carry.

Somehow we thought we were in charge of our budget, our calender, the timing of it all.

On our schedule was a district council (which is where their are a large number of churches come together for prayer, meetings, business, and services). There was one last week and this weekend.


So we were praying that between the 2 district councils, and making a last run around the state, we would be able to get to Costa Rica by September. Even if our budget was below where it needed to be

We were praying for a miracle.

And honestly, my faith was very weak. I felt that I had been praying for several miracles the past year, only to have them seemingly go unanswered.

We have some friends, Louis and Lourdes, who had recently received a miracle in their budget, and encouraged us to believe for our miracle. They said that they would stand with us in prayer in fasting for 2 days before the district council. Louis was coming to attend the District meetings, and he and Dave were preparing to tag team and hit the meetigs hard, making friends, and creating partners along the way.

Louis felt that the Lord had given him a message for us, it was II Kings 4:1-7. He told us to fill out blank pledge forms, and that just as the Lord filled the widow's oil, He would bring in our pledges. Our friends believed that by the end of the weekend, our budget would be met. Our jars so to speak, were our pledge forms, and that God was going to have them overflow.

Their enthusiasm was unreal. We blamed it on them just having received their miracle (and them being Latino :))

We were so tired, we weak, so scared to believe such a thing could happen.

But we prayed, and fasted, and filled out empty pledge forms.

So there were our empty jars.

Dave and Louis were scheduled to go to the district together. They left for the conference on Friday.

The day they left, I was praying, and reading my Bible. For several years now, as I read, I will date the Scripture, and jot a note. I have been doing the Live Dead Journel, a 30 day challenge of prayer for unreached peoples, particularly in Africa. It also encourages to write in your Bible, doodle, scribble down thoughts and prayers.

So in my Bible, in Exodus 16 (the story of manna and quail), I have a very bad doodle of an empty mason jar. My notes say. . .

Fasting and believing for miracles 7/12
"I will know it was the Lord who provided for my needs."
"Take and keep (this empty jar) for generations to come so they can see the miracle"

In my prayer journal, I wrote, I believe Lord, but just as another has prayed, "Lord help my unbelief"

They left on Friday.

Dave's text message were short, but are as follows:

Friday
*pray Amy, they have changed the schedule they wouuld like us to address the district tonight instead of tomorrow

*We had 4 people take pledge forms

*I went to take a picture with Matthew Barnett (from the LA dream center), and he wanted a pledge form, he wants to support us, WHAT?
(He sent me the picture of his business card as proof)

Saturday

7:58 am *Good morning Beautiful (thats me :)Today is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. I anticipate God making us feel small and silly today for our worry and doubt. We will see the hand of God move mountains from before us and we will rejoice in His loving kindness and faithfulness in all things. We will give Him alone the glory for He is good and worthy to be praised despite any circumstance we may face. So be greatly encouraged in the Lord today no matter what, because He surely loves us and has us wrapped in the palm of His hand.

12:06 p.m. the mission's banquet is starting, pray again

1:57 p.m. We just got at least $700 in pledges, maybe more. Praise Jesus

8:32 p.m. We just got $800 more in pledges babe (thats me again ;) God did it in 1 day! I don't have words.

there were more texts but those are private. . .Ahem. . . .

Sunday
7:54 For some reason things seem so much brighter today followed by a picture of the pledges spread over the bed ( I needed proof)


we are left speechless.

We are so small.

We had received the remaining $1500 in monthly commitments in one weekend. Exactly our need.

How could we doubt that Our Father had a plan, planned just for us, that would display His care and love in only the way a Father who longs for His children to be cared for in.

We were so humbled.

Things are still very unofficial, but today is Tuesday, and the girls and I have started packing.

We had been told earlier, that the journey would be difficult, and that somewhere along the way, it would be lonely, and that you would have to take something as part of your testimony, something that would help you remember the place he brought us from.

so for us, I will be taking an empty jar. to Costa Rica. On September 5th.



"then you will know that I am the Lord your God" Exodus 16:11






3 comments:

  1. All I can say is wow!!!!! God is good! Excited for you guys and will be praying for you over the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallelujah! So blessed to read this@ you are so blessed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord, I am reading this on September 5, so you should be traveling today. I will pray for safe travels. Again Amy I always seem to find your blogs on days I need to see God's love for us. You will never know how much of a blessing God has used you and your family to me during some difficult years for me.

    ReplyDelete