Thursday, August 27, 2009

Better than Gold



Proverbs 16:16 "How much better it is to get wisdom than gold! And to get understading is to be chosen rather than silver."

Last night the girls were rewarded for their hard work in our church's program for children. It is called M-Pact or Missionettes. Each age has their own club, and for that club they must earn a badge every month. They earn points for bringing a friend, money, bringing their Bible, wearing their t-shirt, etc. Emma was in the 4 year old rainbow class and Maggi in the prims class.

This was one proud mommy. Going into the award ceremony last night I knew that Emma was going to win a special award (the rainbow of the year award) but that Maggi was not going to earn the prims award. What is a mommy to do. Maggi and Emma have both worked very hard to earn their badges, memorizing scripture, and doing projects. I wasn't sure how to handle this moment. Dave had to work, so I approached as best I could, covered it in prayer, and watched. When Emma was called and honored for her work, her sissy was so proud of her! You could see the excitement Maggi had for her. When it was time for Maggi's class special award, Emma looked backed waiting for her sissy to get hers. Maggi's name was not called. You could see Emma was disappointed for her. My heart was breaking.

I of courses was so excited for them both, as much work had been done. I was proud that they had learned so much about the Bible and its principles. I felt so proud of the teachers that dedicate their time to helping young women grow up in the love and admonition of our Savior. But I had to admit my heart was broken for Maggi. She had set a goal, and missed her mark.

In the car on the way home I heard Maggi and Emma chat. Emma said, sissy I will share this trophy with you. . . Maggi said, no Emma it is yours you earned it. Emma said well. . . a trophy only comes second to all we learned. Maggi agreed that they learned about Jesus and that was the true reward. My heart wells up now thinking about that car ride home. I wish I could have taped it, traped up so I could play it again, share it with Dave. I have such beuatiful girls. They understand and grasp so much more than I do. I wanted them both to have a trophy. But they have so much more than that. They have the knowledge of the Lord in their heart, and as I learned searching for peace this morning, that is worth much more than gold (or plastic painted gold.)

No comments:

Post a Comment