Thursday, June 10, 2010

Como esta` Usted?




Como esta` usted?
How are you?

Dave and I have settled into our class schedule now.

Our school starts at 7:45. That is our chapel time.
At 8:15 we start our conversation class. This class goes for about 2 hours.

Then break time.

The grammer for 40 minutes, and phonetics for 40 minutes.

Then home for hours of homework.

All of our day is in Spanish, except for chapel.

Dave and I, and another girl from Florida, Natasha, are all in class together. (obviously the beginner class).

Talking about jumping out of the boat, I kinda feel like I am at the bottom of the ocean right now.(more like I drowned, and got spit out on dry land far away from home) LOL.

During class we are all suppose to answer in Spanish.

But we all prefer to use our "Spanglish". There are times when the teacher has given us an instruction, waiting for a response, and we all just look at each other, untill one of finally understands (or the teacher uses body language).

Dave and I had our first test today, and appearantly we have another one tomorrow, but I didn't understand that in class. (I will take his word on it and study tonight just incase he was right).

We also have lots of memorization. We have a verse a day for our conversation class. We repeat it to the teacher at the beginning of class. Our grammer and phonetics teacher has given us a Spanish tongue twister to learn tonight. The girls had fun with it. We tried to teach it to Judy, but that didn't go over well.

(but it created great comic relief). I should have gotten that on camera.

Judy has settled in also. She has a "student" in the morning. Her name is Donna. She has finished high school, and is practicing her English with Judy and the girls for about an hour. Donna is helping the girls with their Spanish.

So, When I came home from class today, Emma said to me, in perfect Spanish, "Como Esta` Usted?"

How are you?

That is a good guestion for me. I have so many thoughts and emotions right now, I am having a hard time processing them all.

I know that God is speaking through His word. I found that He knew what I was feeling.
I feel embarassed. I felt embarassed by my selfish behavior.

Being here, and watching and listening to the people God has put in my life has been humbling.

Philippians 2: 1-5

Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ "Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit" Are your hearts tender and compassionate" Then make me truly happy be agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose. Don't be selfish, don't try to impress others, be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.

Being here, away from what I know, has been eye opening.
I have meet people, who are inspiring. Who are living that kind of life out every day.

We met a family who was taking their 4 kids to the jungle of Peru.
A family from Argentina who are going to serve others in Ethiopia.
A young couple who are willing to serve wherever they are needed, no matter how dangerous.

We are surrounded by these people who are living out "Philippians", an unselfish life. They are working for a common goal, to share the love of Christ with others. No matter the sacrifice.

It makes me feel like an imposter, or a bull in a china shop. No way would I ever be like these people

These are the peoples that I have looked up to all my life. I have listened to their stories, since I was a little girl. I have had there prayer cards in my Bible, on my refrigerator, went to different countries to work with them. Now thinking I may be serving beside them is so humbling. I have so much work to do in my life.

They have inspired Dave and I in the way we lead the our family.
Gently.
Sacrificial.
Selfless.

So much work to be done in my life and heart.
Lord Teach me how to be the women you created me to be.

1 comment:

  1. oh amen, I feel it too. I see them too, these people that really live it, sacrifice it, and do it with joy...

    and then I see myself falling so short......

    Lord ...I echo this prayer...Make me too, the woman you had in mind, when you created me and called me out. Both of us! Amen.

    (Love the frosted flake box!)

    ReplyDelete